My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in a few seconds. If not, visit
http://www.melissamcclure.net
and update your bookmarks.

Friday, August 3, 2007

My grandmother passed away last night.

At 9:22pm my phone rang. I knew who it was before I looked at the caller ID.

My grandmother was diagnosed with throat cancer in late March. They didn't expect her to even make it this long. I flew up to Oregon over Easter to say my goodbyes and spend time with my family.

I got a call just 3 days ago that gramma wasn't expected to last the night. But her heart kept beating. I made travel arrangements to go up there at this point, but held little hope that I would get to see her again.



As tears streamed down my cheek, my mother described her last seconds on earth. She opened her mouth and tried to speak. Just before her last breath, my father pointed out a single tear rolling down her cheek. She went the way that any person should have, surrounded by her family.



I'll always remember going to her house in Fallbrook and sneaking in to the pantry for almond roca. She wore these huge clip on earrings that I would meticulously clip together. She always thanked me for that. She had an old 8 track player and I always got to choose what music played during dinner. She was an amazing poet. Every holiday and birthday I could always expect a personalized poem written by her. She lived an amazing 95 years.

I'll be out of town all of next week, back on Friday afternoon. I should have access to email and my phone, but if I don't get back to you right away, please be patient!

Charlotte Brennan McClure

January 11, 1912 - August 2, 2007


6 comments:

OHANA PHOTOGRAPHERS said...

i am so sorry to hear about your gramma melissa. that's awesome she had a full life. our prayers are with you.

Hybrid Photography said...

I'm sorry to hear about your loss. :( My grandma is battling a malignant melanoma that's spread to her liver, so I kind of know how you feel. My prayers are with you guys.

Jeanette said...

I'm sorry for your loss. I will keep your family in prayers as you all will get through this together. We are thinking of you.

Nat said...

My condolences go out to you and your family. I know that no matter what this part of life is always hard to deal with. Thankfully your grandmother lived an amazing 95 years surrounded by a family that cherished her and will continue to do so. My prayers are with you and your family.

Anonymous said...

Melissa,
Your grandmother gave you such a rich heritage-loving her family and grandchildren so much!! I hope your time in Oregon is full of lots of love and great memories.
Love, Aunt Rhonda

Dawn Malone said...

Oh Melissa, I am so sorry for your loss. I recently lost my grandmother, I know how much they can impact our lives. You will be in my prayers.

Welcome!

Thanks for taking the time to stop by my blog. On here, you will find my most recent photo shoots and weddings along with some other things that you may find interesting. If you are getting married, please check out my website at www.melissamcclure.com I welcome all comments and critiques!

About Me

My photo
San Diego, CA, United States